Martin’s through to final

St. Martin’s took on neighbours Erin’s Own of Castlecomer in the Annual Tom Kinsella Memorial this evening.  In front of a good crowd, Luke Maher shot a lovely point to get the homeside off the mark.  However, Erin’s Own shot 5 unanswered points before John Mulhall and Brian Mulhall got a point each to keep  Martin’s ticking over as they settled into the game.  With a free taken by Colin McGrath from his own half, David Breen broke the ball down and shot over the first of his 2 points to leave 2 points between the sides.  Colin McGrath put over 2 points from free’s to level the game before Erin’s Own got their first point in 13 minutes from a free to go one up again.  They added another point from play two minutes from half time but points from Robert Shore and David Breen brought St. Martin’s on a par with Erin’s Own to leave the score at half time 0-8 a piece.  On resumption, it was Erin’s Own first off the mark and added four points but the Martin’s men did not give in.  With a point from Robert Shore and John Maher been accurate on free’s, the sides were level for the third time in the game.  On the 20 minute mark, John Maher gave a good pass to John Mulhall in the corner who travelled in and blasted the ball past the Erin’s Own keeper, Tom Brophy to go one point up.  When introduced, Shane Kinsella added a great point along with Mick Morrissey to put 3 points in it.  However, Erin’s Own rallied  and added 2 points to leave the minimum between the sides but once again, a free from John Maher put 2 points between the sides.  Erin’s Own moved the ball quickly down the field with a goal in mind but Colin McGrath made a great save and put the ball out for a 65.  A short ball was let into the Erin’s Own forwards but Niall Moran’s clearance up the field was caught by Brian Mulhall and laid off the pass to John Mulhall who pointed for St. Martin’s to run out winners on a scoreline of 1-16 to 0-16.  St. Martin’s now await the winners of the second semi-final between Clara and Oulart the Ballagh to be played at a later date.

Scorers: John Mulhall 1-2, John Maher 0-4, Colin McGrath 0-2, Robert Shore 0-2, David Breen 0-2, Brian Mulhall 0-1, Luke Maher 0-1 Mick Morrissey 0-1, Shane Kinsella 0-1

Team: Colin McGrath, Shane Cadigan, Ollie Walsh, Aidan Murphy, Niall Moran, Paddy Nolan, Paddy Dowling, James Dowling, Mick Morrissey, John Mulhall, Brian Mulhall, Robert Shore, David Breen, John Maher, Luke Maher.

Subs: Bryan Byrne, Shane Kinsella, Brian Cadigan, Jack Dowling, Donal Shore, Noel D’arcy, Thomas Walsh, Eugene Maher, Jason Shore.

Team Management: Charlie Carter, Richie McCarthy, Aidan Lawlor.

Referee: Eamon Mansfield.

30th June 2013