Martin’s claim Aylward Cup

St. Martin’s lined out with what looked like a skeleton team as they took on O’Loughlin Gaels in the Aylward Cup final this afternoon in Jenkinstown.   With Ollie Walsh been the only defender and both midfielders missing from last weekend’s semi-final, the country men went four points up with scores from Canice Maher, Luke Maher, and Jason Shore. With the hard working Noel D’arcy, (even though pitted against County Star Brian Hogan), was causing the city men a lot of problems at this stage, and created the space to find Mick Morrissey  on an overlap who shot a fine point before O’ Loughlin’s registered their first score.  Within two minutes the sides were level when Seamie Cummins got a goal for his side. (0-4 to 1-1)  However, the Martin’s men did not shy away from the challenge.  After receiving a good clearance from the lively Jack Dowling, David Breen shot a fine point while Shane Kinsella laid off a great pass to Robert Shore to ease their side ahead and net minder Colin McGrath blasted a 20m free past the O’Loughlins goalie. (1-6 to 1-1) Whilst the city side remained quiet on the scoring front, David Breen set Luke Maher up for a point and Colin McGrath pointed another free to go 7 points to the good.  However, that was the last score for Martin’s before half time as O’ Loughlin’s added three points to leave the half time score St. Martin’s 1-8 O’ Loughlin’s 1-4.

The second half opened with the opposition coming out with determination to steal the lead.  Backed by a stiff wind, within a minute, they had the deficit down to 3 points.  Veteran John Maher was introduced and straight away made an impact setting up David Breen for a point before he added a point of his own from a free, whilst the able McGrath was called upon again to point a long range free.  O’ Loughlin’s had added four of their own points in the meantime to leave three between them once more. (1-11 to 1-8)  David Breen slotted another point that was deflected over the bar by the city side’s goalie.  Less than a minute later, Robert Shore crossed the ball into John Maher who doubled on it overhead, passed the advancing keeper.  The hard working John Mulhall, based in the back’s today, gave a good pass to Luke Maher from the near side to put four points between the sides.  A bit of a safety net one would think but O’Loughlins had very different ideas.  Jack Nolan bore down on goal and finished it to the net to leave four points the difference. (2-13 to 2-9)  Not ones to sit back, Paddy Dowling immediately set up Canice Maher to get a score back for the eventual winners.  (2-14 to 2-9)  Martin Comerford shot a fine point to reduce the deficit to two making for a nervous few minutes towards the end.  The backs did well throughout with corner backs Aidan Murphy and Brian Cadigan making some fine clearances.  Just in the last minute, O’ Loughlin’s bore down on goal as Colin McGrath made a great save from a fine shot from Seamie Cummins and with the rebound looking destined for the net, McGrath somehow turned it around the post for a 65.  Aidan Murphy cleared the resulting 65 just as full time whistle sounded.  St. Martin’s collected the Alyward Cup on a scoreline of 2-15 to O’ Loughlin Gaels 2-13.

Team: Colin McGrath (1-2), Aidan Murphy, Ollie Walsh, Brian Cadigan, Jack Dowling, John Mulhall, Mick Morrissey (0-1), Luke Maher (0-3), Paddy Dowling, David Breen (0-4), Noel D’arcy, Canice Maher (0-2), Shane Kinsella, Robert Shore (0-1), Jason Shore (0-1)

Sub: John Maher (1-1)

Team Management: Charlie Carter, Richie McCarthy, Aidan Lawlor.

Referee: Eugene Ryan

19th October 2013